About the Block Parent® Program of Canada Inc.
For over 40 years, the Block Parent® Program has been helping to make our communities safer. Throughout Canada, the red and white Block Parent® sign is a symbol of a safe refuge where assistance is available. Police, government departments, educators, sponsors and volunteers support the Block Parent® goal of providing safer communities for children and other citizens.
The mission of the Block Parent® Program is to provide immediate assistance through a safety network and offer supportive community education programs.
The mandate of the Block Parent® Program is:
- to assure that there is a minimum of one Block Parent Window Sign in each community (Business or residential); and
- to provide a network of security screened, easily recognizable safe homes or businesses for members of the community, especially children, to turn to in times of distress; and/or
- to educate children about the Block Parent® Program, safety on the streets and within the home; and/or
- to develop promotions and materials to educate the community about the Block Parent® Program and personal safety; and/or
- to work together with the police, school boards and other community groups toward safer communities.
The Block Parent® Program of Canada Inc. (BPPCI) is an affiliation of 12 registered PRovincial and Territorial Block Parent® Programs, one from each Province and Territory. In turn, these committees have over 900 community members across Canada. Each committee operates the Block Parent® Program in accordance with the Bylaws and Policy of BPPCI.
What are the goals of the Program?
Block Parent® volunteers are working together to:
- expand the network of Block Parents until there are several Block Parent® homes on every block in every community in Canada; and
- teach children and adults streetproofing tips. Education is the first step to safety!
The first Block Parent® Program began in London, Ontario in 1968. The Program rapidly expanded across Canada over the next five years. In 1983 a national committee was formed and the Block Parent® Program of Canada became incorporated in 1986.
BPPCI operates in Canada with an affiliate in Belgium. Our Program is recognized internationally as a quality child safety program. We have assisted foreign governments and police forces in establishing similar child safety programs overseas and continue to respond to all requests for information.
Meet our Program Manager
I’m Lindsey Coyle
I moved here just over 7 years ago we, my husband of 15 years Dan so we could raise our two small children now 6 & 8 years old, in the smaller, amenity filled Airdrie.
I believe in building people up, making a difference and empowering my community to be it’s very best.
I look forward to meeting with you!